Sunday, August 19, 2018

Who’s in your corner?

Every now and then, often whilst I’m out walking, I get to thinking about “stuff”.  I think about who and what I have in my life that I’m grateful for, the challenges I have endured or am still enduring, things I want to do better etc etc.  The track is usually a little different, but the tune is the same.  
I usually come to the same conclusion though; being a human is messy.  It’s complicated and challenging and like trying to navigate through uncharted waters with a compass that works sometimes, then sporadically spins round and round without any purpose whatsoever.   

So many challenges I have faced, I find my mind racing trying to figure out how to handle things, but deep down know I have no actual idea, because most challenges are new and uncomfortable and unfamiliar and I have zero expertise in how to navigate through them.  I rarely get through unscathed, and  even more rarely do I get through alone. 

The past week I have thought a little about the movie “Million Dollar Baby”.  It’s a text Anthony has been teaching and one I love.  It’s heartbreaking to see a woman who quite literally has no one in her corner until she finds Frankie. 


It made me think about my own life and the people I have “in my corner”.  Some of these people are in my corner on a daily basis, others just appear less frequently but I know are there when I call them in.  Some give me laughter when I need a good chuckle, a listening ear to vent to, or just company that helps me to know I’m not alone in this messy thing called ‘Life’.

Everybody needs people in their corner.  It’s the person you call when something funny happens and you are dialling their number with a big smile on your face, knowing they will find it hilarious too.  

It’s the person you message late at night, because there are no time restrictions on your friendship.

It’s the person you call just to talk about nothing while you do mundane chores around the house.  

It’s the person you don’t have to make the “fake house” for.  The one who has seen you ugly cry.  The person who you fall asleep to at night and know you will never get sick of the rhythm of their breathing.  


These are the type of people I love that I have in my corner.  I turn to them, they pat my back, help me catch my breath, wipe my brow, give me a word of encouragement and send me right on back into the world to face whatever comes.  I hope I am that person for whoever wants/needs me in their corner too, because everybody needs someone in their corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment