Sunday, February 2, 2014

The day of reckoning


It's here! 

We have talked about this day non-stop for months now.....and it's arrived. 

My baby starts his first day of Big School today. Mr Tarts is all set and ready, but I don't know if I am. 

If you asked me six months ago, I would have told you I was looking forward to our big baby starting school. Some days it couldn't come fast enough. 

But here we are and I am nervous, but more sad. I'm losing my little buddy.  Who will I dress up in my wedding dress and do fake weddings with? Who will drive me crazy in the supermarket asking for lollipops? Who will ask me about the colour of my bra in the choc-a-block doctors waiting room?

We have been through this before with Tony, but having a 2 year old at home still made me feel better about it all. Now I feel a little lost. 

Mothers of older children always tell young mothers who are pulling their hair out with little ones to 'treasure' these moments as they won't last forever. I thought these women had developed early onset dementia (likely delayed onset) as a result of years of watching childrens programs and living with toddlers on no sleep. 

Turns out I am an idiot! 

Today, I wish I could wind the clock back a bit. If I knew how I would feel today, I would smack myself in the head and tell myself that there is truth to those words; 

"Treasure these moments, before you know it they will be gone."

I guess from the hours of 8:55am til 2:55pm, I won't be the main woman in Carter's life anymore. He has a lovely teacher, but I will miss being the Sandy to his Danny, the Gabriella to his Troy, the Catwoman to his Batman. 

Point Clare Public School is getting a good one! In fact in my opinion, they have two of the best. 






3 comments:

  1. Oh Jo, that is beautiful! Made me laugh and cry all at once. Carter looks so handsome and grown up in his uniform and the photo of Tony and Carter together is precious! A couple of missionaries in the making :) ....you might not always be Sandy or Catwoman but I bet your wedding dress will still get plenty of use. Love u ! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put Jo! I'm one young mom that will strive to take your advice. Can't believe your boys are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... look at Carter all grown up, where did baby Tarts go? I'll try to remember your wise words when my kids are driving me crazy :)

    ReplyDelete