Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A mummy report

Women by nature tend to be chatty. We like to talk.....about anything. There is something therapeutic about getting together with someone you love and trust and just having a good 'ol chat.

We want to chat when we have something wonderful we want to share. When we want to have a whinge. When we are bored. Or simply because we haven't spoken to anyone in the last fifteen minutes so we MUST be due for a conversation with SOMEONE!

One topic we seem to be constantly talking about it our precious offspring. We talk constantly about their development, their progress, their behaviour, their habits, and how they affect our lives.   People without children may think this will not happen to them......but just you wait!

I was thinking the other day about how my sons see me and my life. I was imagining what they would tell their friends if they were discussing me the way us Mummy's discuss our children.

I imagine them saying;

"My Mum is 349 months now and is coming along really well. She certainly has her days where she just pushes ALL my buttons, but then she tucks me in and kisses me goodnight and I can't help but forget all the times I was annoyed at her through the day.

She is currently going through a phase of just DESTROYING the kitchen. Everyday come afternoon, she goes through the cupboards getting out all the pots and pans and utensils and makes such a big mess. I can't understand it - we have perfectly good toys that I CONSTANTLY invite her to play with me but she just insists she will play with the toys later and would rather play with kitchen utensils and continues on making her mess. You pick your battles though so I leave her be, just as long as she doesn't expect me to clean up after her.

Thankfully we are now out of the "potty talk" phase! For a while there it was getting ridiculous. Constantly asking whether I was doing #1 or #2, how I was going in there, and even if she could come in! I couldn't even get a moments peace in the toilet. There were even times she would bring me a book to read to me WHILE I was doing my business. I love her, but I just need my space sometimes you know?

I was a little concerned about her temper tantrums recently. I have spoken to my brother about it and he agrees that between 3-7pm just seems to be her cranky time. We have tried distracting her by asking lots of questions, telling her we are hungry so she will have something to do, and arguing with each other to keep her occupied but she still seems to be difficult during these hours. Ah what's a child to do!

Oh her sleeping patterns have improved recently thankfully! She still seems to wake up a bit cranky but we just pre-empt this and solve it by waking her up before the sun while she is still a little tired to gently ease her into the day. We find the best method has been to come in at the crack of dawn and climb into her bed and cuddle for a while. So she doesn't try and fall back asleep, I find myself making up all kinds of small talk ranging from what I dreamt, to what toys I want to play with that day, to what I have named all my toes. If she is really kicking up a fight, I just pretend I'm stretching and give her a little kick in the ribs. I don't LIKE having to do it, but its for her own good you know?

But really, overall she is progressing really well and we all know that all Mummy's develop at their own pace. She still has plenty of time. I like to think that I have contributed a lot to how well she is doing. I don't even have any formal qualifications for being a child. It's all come naturally :)"

4 comments:

  1. I was laughing through all of it, but I think my favourite part was "what I have named all my toes". That sounds like a Carter thing to do :)

    It's a great idea to think like our kids do, makes for a better Mum if we can understand their crazy minds. I don't think you could get much better though Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny Jo. I can imagine your boys just saying, "my mummy is a great cook, is a lot of fun and I just to be near her all the time." Xxx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drat...I meant to say ...just want to be near her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! You have a way with writing Jo

    ReplyDelete