Sunday, August 7, 2011

A glass half empty of lemons



You know the saying;

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

I am not such a believer this saying. I don't doubt it's great in theory, it's just I tend not to be able to put it into practice.
Now I'm not saying I'm a pessimist or anything, I just think that in terms of the lemons life gives us, I don't make lemonade, instead I suck on the lemons, even if it's sour, but eventually I adjust and get used to it. It doesn't mean that the sourness goes away or anything, just that my ability to withstand it has grown.
During times of difficulty or trial, I have to let myself say "THIS SUCKS" and feel sorry for myself just for a little bit and then I can put it aside and move on with the day.

There are many parts of life that are 'sour'. There is pain, illness, disappointment, and grief. The mere fact that we are here on earth means we made a choice. We chose to experience mortality and everything that came with it. I don't think this means we had some list put in front of us and we CHOSE the trials we have, rather we chose the full experience of mortality; the good and the bad.
Sometimes I forget that I made the choice to experience all that life has to offer, both sweet and sour.

2 comments:

  1. At least your little lemons look friendly. That metaphor would be hard for Dad to understand, he loves eating them!
    Hope life gets much sweeter for you guys. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when life gives you lemons...ask for the lime and bitters...sure makes the lemons taste better...and helps you to forget your woes:)
    Love you lots Jo, mum xxx

    ReplyDelete