Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trash Talk

As Anthony will attest to, I have issues with our rubbish bin. For some bizarre reason, it is VERY important to me that our bins are taken down the end of our very steep driveway each week so they can be emptied on Wednesday morning.
I'm sure many wives also nag about their bin, so back me up here!

There have been occasions where I wake up startled on a Wednesday morning because I can hear the rubbish truck coming and I think Anthony has forgotten to take the bin down.

EVERY Tuesday night I 'remind' Anthony that the bin needs to go down- like he wouldn't know after over 340 weeks we have been married (6 and a half years for those not so mathematically inclined).

Anthony often has to remind me that the rubbish should not be such an issue and that in the larger scheme of things it won't matter, and I know he is right in a way. I know that compared to the many atrocities in this world, my overflowing bin doesn't really matter.
HOWEVER, having to sneak rubbish into our neighbors bin the following bin night does matter to me. Having to stand in our bin to squeeze the tiniest bit of rubbish in does matter to me. Having the stink of garbage for a week around our house because we had to put garbage bags in the shed under our house does matter to me.

So maybe it doesn't matter in the eternal perspective, but missing bin night matters to me.

Now just for the record, our bin has been emptied each week for some time now. In fact, Anthony has only missed it three times our whole marriage. So what can we learn from this?
NAGGING WORKS!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am all to familiar with the distant sound of a garbage truck at 5 am and by then there's no time to make Ethan do it so I have to run outside and drag the bins to the curb myself in a nightgown and bare feet! (while the truck drivers laugh their heads off I'm sure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 weeks ago I had to chase the truck down the street and ask him to back up since we were new and didn't know when bin day was. This week, I crammed so much into our bin that even when the truck tipped it upside down, it came back full. I think I'll be sneaking rubbish into our neighbours bin next week myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Jo, this brings back so many wonderful memories...not! Many a time we would wake to the same panic of hearing the garbage truck, realizing we had forgotten again. Worse still was the next week,when we had two weeks worth of garbage, and Dad would suggest why don't I go out in my nightie to give the garbage men the extra bags of rubbish. The plan was they would take pity on me....how embarrassing because I actually did it... And it worked.

    Ps Phil, hope your bin got emptied the next week.:)

    ReplyDelete